Vessel Registration Guidance

ALL vessels registered in the US Virgin Islands expire on June 30th of each year

  • All applications can be found in fillable .pdf format under Applications & Forms.
  • Customers are asked that requests for renewals, new vessel registrations, long-term anchoring, or mooring applications be submitted to the Division through email at for St. Croix or for St. Thomas/St. John. Applications may be printed and mailed into the Department in the respective districts. Please follow all proper mail procedures.
  • For all applications received electronically, once processed, applicants will be contacted by staff to complete the payment process by phone.

To apply for a New Boat Registration:

  • The owner must have an original Bill of Sale signed and notarized.
  • The owner must fill out an Application for new boat registration.
  • The owner must have a valid picture ID: Driver’s License or Passport
  • If the boat does not have an HIN number, one will be issued after verification that a HIN does not exist.
  • Our office will also issue you a registration number unless the vessel is Documented by US Coast Guard in the owner’s name.
  • If the owner is absent, a representative with a notarized Power of Attorney can act on behalf of the owner. In this case, the representative must sign his or her name for the owner and have a picture ID: Driver’s License or Passport.
  • The fees depend on the CLASS of the vessel


For renewals of registration:

  • The owner must have a copy of the old registration card.

Transferring of registration follow the process in #1:

  • Transfer fee $10.00, plus the renewal if needed. (All delinquent fees assessed to that vessel must be paid before it can be registered)

Mooring/ Anchoring Permit:

  • To apply for an anchoring permit the vessel must be currently registered.
  • To apply for a mooring permit, you must apply for an anchoring permit in the designated area. Then submit a completed mooring application for approval. Any vessel applying for a mooring permit in the US Virgin Islands must be registered with the US Virgin Islands Department of Planning and Natural Resources.
  • All mooring applications must have two (2) sets of coordinates one for the desired location and a second option. All GPS coordinates must be in decimal format. A color picture of the vessel is required.
  • Anchoring and Mooring Permits through the Division of Environmental Enforcement are only issued for designated areas. Contact the office at (340) 774-3320 ext. 5187 on St. Thomas/St. John or (340) 773-5774 on St. Croix for the list of available bays.

Duplications of Registration or Mooring Permit

  • Fee $10.00

Mooring Fees
Recreational Vessel(Pleasure): $10.00/ft
Livery (if you live on-board your vessel for any period): $15.00/ft
Commercial: $20.00/ft

NOTE: A vessel currently registered with a state or documented with the US Coast Guard staying over sixty (60)days must register with the Department of Planning and Natural Resources.