Short Range Goals
- To complete and publish the Virgin Islands State Historic Preservation Plan for years 2009 to 2013.
- Continue to serve in a technical and support capacity to the Virgin Islands Historic Preservation Commission.
- Expand the Division staff to include a Historian that meets the professional qualifications of the National Park Service in order to meet our statutory responsibilities, provide better assistance in review of projects and to develop and update the Division‘s public education brochures and pamphlets.
- Continue to serve the public and private sectors in matters related to historic preservation and archaeology.
Long Range Goals
- Establish the Enid M. Baa Building, on Dronningens Gade “Main Street” Charlotte Amalie, as the permanent home of the Virgin Islands State Historic Preservation Office and the St. Thomas-St. John Historic Preservation Committee. The Baa building will allow the VISHPO and the HPC to be located in the heart of the Charlotte Amalie Historic District in a facility that will provide appropriate space for staffing, research and Laboratory spaces, storage and a well equipped meeting room for the HPC monthly committee hearings and for public meetings.
- Work with the Lieutenant Governor’s office to add the prehistoric and historic sites to the general government GIS database that can be accessible to the general public online.
- To have a fully functioning web site where the general public can learn about our history, access our various publications, historic photographs and technical guides.
- To complete the historic rehabilitation of the Torvet Strade 1 building and the Kongens Gade 40 buildings for the G. Mallin-Holmes research center. We propose to establish this building as a historic house museum to be managed in partnership with the St. Thomas Historical Trust, Inc. in which a revenue sharing agreement will be established between the Trust and VISHPO for entrance fees collected to the historic sites.
- To have the Jose Antonio Jarvis House Museum and Learning Center fully functional once the VISHPO and HPC are relocated to the Enid M. Baa Building on Main Street.